Thursday, March 24, 2011

Riff Burgers: Taste that Tune

"Hey look, there's a burger joint there. When did that happen? Are they open?"

I feel like the first day I noticed Riff Burgers, on the corner of Main and 1st, they already had a crowd. Since it was right before spring break, and right before family travel time, we didn't get a chance to try it out until tonight.

"I hope it's like Five Guys where I can name the toppings I want," I told Jay.

Success #1 = You build your own burger.

And the building has never had so many options. You pick your meat, your bun, and your toppings. Though the meat selections range from beef and chicken to lamb and salmon, we played it simple for this first visit. Jay had a beef burger with a Kaiser bun, American cheese, BBQ sauce, and hickory bacon.

As we were filling out the small menu-type sheets provided, checking off what we wanted in order to build our dream burgers, I noticed a kid's (okay, it's called a baby) burger.

"I wonder what toppings I can get on that?" I asked Jay. Then I asked the lady at the register.

"Whatever," she replied.

Success #2 = You can put any toppings you want on your baby burger.

I handed her the form I had filled out for a regular burger and told her to make it the kid's version. There was a rejoicing of my small appetite paired with my hatred of throwing away food mingled with my bad habit of leaving leftovers in the fridge to rot.

On my baby burger I had lettuce, mustard, pickles, and mushrooms. Jay said his burger tasted a little bland, and that he might mix into the meat some different items next time (which is another options Riff Burgers offers). I didn't notice the meat being bland, but perhaps my mustard was giving me flavor enough.

The skinny fries weren't quite delectable, but several other sides are available, including fried okra. And guess what crept its way onto Jay's plate, hiding covertly under his fries--one tiny okra. I'll be ordering that next time, thank you.

The only problem I can foresee with Riff Burgers is this: this burger establishment is far too close to my home. Let the temptation begin.


My baby burger: I apologize for the poor photograph. I shouldn't always rely on the camera on my phone for these outings; the food looked much taster than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment