Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flash Market: The Best "Fish and Chips"

It feels like the middle of nowhere, but the people living near this Flash Market in Fairview, Tennessee, are fortunate folk, for this gas station carries the best potato wedges I have ever tasted in my life.

It was a random purchase on a trip to Henderson, Tennessee, to see my grandparents. My dad loves a good potato wedge, but little did he know what he was discovering. It's become a bit of a tradition for my family to stop in for this starchy, fried treat on our way to or from my grandparents'.



Once I requested a stop. The driver didn't stop. "I thought you were joking," I was told. "I don't joke about potato wedges," I replied. Now I am always offered a quick run into the store on the way through town.

I normally don't like a large wedge; I prefer less potato and more fried batter, but this huge wedge...I cannot even explain what the magic is. You really need to set your TomTom and make a trip yourself. It's at the corner of the Hwy 96 and I40 interchange.

As we celebrated Christmas with my cousins at this wonderful place (No, I didn't pick the spot; it was on route for the moving cousins on their way to Arkansas.), my dad made a new discovery: their catfish.

The catfish and the wedges are nearly polar opposites in that the wedge is fat, and the fish is thin, giving plenty of crisp batter on the outside. Just pass the ketchup, please.


Often a trip to my grandparents' is a one day event: two-ish hours there, a lunch visit, and two-ish hours back: all within about eight or nine hours. This trip means a cranky toddler calling "stuck, stuck" as he desires freedom from his car seat, and my answer, "I'm stuck too, baby." It also means priceless time with the Henderson side of the Hilliards.

And it also means a potato wedge. Or two. Or two and a half.

Worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment